What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Though all men may experience an occasional lapse of sexual function, ED is the recurring inability to achieve an adequate erection, despite being sexually aroused. The Canadian Study of Erectile Dysfunction identified that ED impacts half of men over 40.
Erectile dysfunction is a potentially treatable medical condition that is not related to masculinity or sexual prowess.
Symptoms Of erectile Dysfunction
Symptoms of ED can include:
- Erections are hard to get
- Erections are less rigid
- Erections are not satisfactory for penetration
- Erections cannot be maintained during sexual activity or until the man’s orgasm is reached
- Erections cannot be achieved at all
For some men with ED, penetration may not be possible. For others, penetration can be initiated but not maintained until orgasm is reached.
Men with ED can lose confidence in their sexual ability and their overall sense of self-worth can be negatively affected.
Erectile dysfunction can have a devastating psychological impact for individuals and couples.
Causes of ED
While both psychological and biological factors can cause erectile dysfunction, in reality the mind and body work together in sexual arousal, so most men have both factors in varying proportions.
Men with healthier lifestyles – no tobacco, less sitting, more exercise, and who maintain a healthy weight – typically have a lower risk of erectile dysfunction than other men in the same age group.
Psychological Causes of ED
Biological Causes of ED
Risk Factors for ED
- Vascular causes account for up to 70% of cases of erectile dysfunction.
- High cholesterol and the buildup of arterial plaque over time cause blood vessels to narrow, lessening the capability of your circulatory system.
- Risk of heart disease and diabetes also increase with age which can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
- Men’s testosterone levels naturally decline at a rate of 1% a year, starting in a man’s thirties.
Lifestyle choices and health conditions which can also contribute include:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Poor diet and blood sugar control
- Chronic alcohol/substance abuse
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment in Toronto
ED is a treatable condition and most men are able to return to healthy sexual function with a course of treatment at Precision Sexual Health Clinic for Men. Our doctor will evaluate your situation and determine the best course of action.
Potential first line therapies include:
Supplemental Toronto, Markham & Vaughan ED Treatments
Patients should do everything they can to improve their vascular and aerobic health. Exercise is important, as is a good diet.
Lifestyle changes may allow a man to achieve an erection more easily. Some of the potential lifestyle changes a man can try include:
- Quitting smoking
- Exercising regularly
- Reducing the consumption of alcohol
- Eliminating the use of recreational drugs
A man may also want to undergo counselling to help with stress, anxiety, or depression. Changes of this kind are intended to improve the ability to have sexual intercourse without worrying about ED symptoms.